Coaches Paying to get into State Meet
05/01/2018 10:17:30 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Is there an explanation why Track & Field Coaches have to pay to get into the State Meet to coach their own athletes? It is my understanding that 2 coach passes/wristbands are provided in the team packet/gender... If a school is fortunate enough to have several athletes from multiple events qualify, more than likely they will have more than 2 coaches needing to attend the State Meet. I believe we are the only sport where the coaches of the participating athletes have to pay to get into the event. Can you imagine if all the football coaches had to pay for the State title game (other than the obligatory 2 passes)? Is there another sport where the coaches have to pay to coach their athletes?
Is there an explanation why Track & Field Coaches have to pay to get into the State Meet to coach their own athletes? It is my understanding that 2 coach passes/wristbands are provided in the team packet/gender... If a school is fortunate enough to have several athletes from multiple events qualify, more than likely they will have more than 2 coaches needing to attend the State Meet.
I believe we are the only sport where the coaches of the participating athletes have to pay to get into the event. Can you imagine if all the football coaches had to pay for the State title game (other than the obligatory 2 passes)? Is there another sport where the coaches have to pay to coach their athletes?
05/01/2018 12:19:32 PM
Power User
It's a shame that the UIL does this. Track is the only sport I'm aware of that does this. It would not be tolerated in football.
It's a shame that the UIL does this. Track is the only sport I'm aware of that does this. It would not be tolerated in football.
05/01/2018 12:27:30 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Are we even sure that's per gender? Looks like it's just 2 passes per school, period.
Are we even sure that's per gender? Looks like it's just 2 passes per school, period.
05/01/2018 12:45:35 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Track might really be the only one. Swimming gives one per school, but gives out extra if >1 swimmer qualifies and the school requests the passes. Says nothing about paying. http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/state-swimming-diving/2018_Swimming__Diving_State_Qualifier_Handbook.pdf Wrestling gets 2 also. They also get one for student manager and can request one for a trainer. It does not say they can purchase additional tickets. http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/state-wrestling/2018_Wrestling_State_Qualifier_Handbook1.pdf Keep in mind that wrestling and swim staffs are usually much smaller than track staffs. 1-2 people max. So, yeah, it does sorta seem like track is getting screwed here.
Track might really be the only one.

Swimming gives one per school, but gives out extra if >1 swimmer qualifies and the school requests the passes. Says nothing about paying.

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/state-swimming-diving/2018_Swimming__Diving_State_Qualifier_Handbook.pdf

Wrestling gets 2 also. They also get one for student manager and can request one for a trainer. It does not say they can purchase additional tickets.

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/state-wrestling/2018_Wrestling_State_Qualifier_Handbook1.pdf

Keep in mind that wrestling and swim staffs are usually much smaller than track staffs. 1-2 people max.

So, yeah, it does sorta seem like track is getting screwed here.
05/04/2018 12:02:47 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@TxXCCoach we always ask for one for our 'trainer'.. helps save $25 and allows that coach to be down on the UT field for warmups.
@TxXCCoach

we always ask for one for our 'trainer'.. helps save $25 and allows that coach to be down on the UT field for warmups.

05/04/2018 2:42:07 PM
Coach
I know I am opening up a can of worms saying this, but the UIL doesn't charge football coaches to be on the sideline for the state championship...or even the regional championship...and a football coaching staff is considerably bigger than track.
I know I am opening up a can of worms saying this, but the UIL doesn't charge football coaches to be on the sideline for the state championship...or even the regional championship...and a football coaching staff is considerably bigger than track.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.